Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Monday Is For Taking Care

photo courtesy of www.123rf.com


    There is something amusing about Allan whenever he gets sick. He has this weird thing of being so easy to read and being a lot more irritable than normal. When he's OK, it's rare that someone will be able to read what he's thinking by looking at his face. Just like today, he came back from the office after learning that he did not have a shift that day. I woke up to find that he was a bit warm and he was mildly irritable. That means he's sick. I asked him what he wanted to eat and he said that he wanted rice porridge. 
   Since the place that sells rice porridge doesn't open 'till late afternoon, I told Allan about it and he irritably replied (of course) that I should cook it instead. Ever since we've had the chance to take care of each other while the other one is sick, we have stuck on to our philosophies while being sick. Whenever I get down with something, I tend to be more agreeable and tolerant of almost anything. I have this thing where I don't want to be a burden and would insist on still moving around. On the other hand, Allan becomes more irritable, he rarely responds to questions and becomes easier to piss off. 
   In the beginning, I would always get angry and collide with him head on. Yes, even if he's sick. I've had a couple of experiences where I took care of someone who was sick. All of them were very nice and did not made me feel like I'm being sold of to a new master. But over time, I have learned to just roll with it and now I couldn't help but just smile whenever he's in this state. 
   For someone like Allan who is fiercely independent, being taken care of by somebody is something important to them. And what better way to show this than by annoying them even more. Kidding. He's feeling better now after resting and is ready to go to work in a bit. 



No comments:

Post a Comment