Friday, December 19, 2014

Laundry Day




photo courtesy of balconalia.com


   Doing the laundry is something I enjoy. Along with washing the dishes. A lot of the people I've met have expressed disdain doing these two chores. But for me, I feel a certain calm in dumping the clothes in the washer, putting the laundry powder, and watching it spin, waiting for the foam to appear, or the water to darken. It's as if this whole process is not just for the clothes themselves but for me as well. I always feel clean and fresh after a laundry session, even at times I'm left sweating and sticky. 

   When I started doing the laundry after female parental unit had an operation, it was always a battle of who can out-snark each other. Being a veteran in washing clothes, she was more than eager to pass on the knowledge to the point that she would be doing it herself. Meanwhile, me, the person who resents authority as a hobby would go against her in every laundry session. As time passes by, the arguments have lessened and what replaced it is another way for us to bond and to talk more. We've somehow managed to use every laundry day to talk about not just the usual neighborhood gossip but also our frustrations, things we want to accomplish, and a lot more. We've become more honest with each other, learning things that we never knew before. And with this, me and female parental unit have always looked forward to our special laundry day.

   This is what happens I guess when you get older. 

No comments:

Post a Comment